Saturday 7 December 2019

Saturday, December 7th

Happy birthday Kevin, hope your day was special and if you are away from home working, I am sure your family will celebrate when you get home.
  It was another nice day in the Valley and another day in short pants.  There is a weather system moving in and as it is evening when I write this, the forecast rain has started.  Not like the downpours we saw in the last rain, this one is just a gentle steady rain.
  We got off to a bit of a later start today, so I never went to the breakfast in the clubhouse.  I went on Facebook to do some stuff and my settings were altered, to French.  Not sure how that happened, but it made for an interesting time trying to set it to English.  I finally had to go on Marg's page to see where the settings menu was so I could pick the same locations on my page.  I am pleased to announce I am an Anglophone on FB again.  After showers and a bit to eat we went out for a bit of a change.
  There is a coin club here that has a sale in Tempe the first Saturday of the month, so that was our first destination.   It was an address I was not familiar with, so we used the GPS.  It was a bit of a challenge at first as it wanted to use the Canadian map and B.C. where it was last used.  We could get an upgrade to put it in the truck, but didn't as we already have the Garmin.  It was about 25 km's from here, but traffic was light and we took the freeway where the speed limit is 65 mph.  I was doing about 75 and passed no one, but was passed many times.  Not much enforcement here, but the fines are pretty steep if you do get pulled over.  There were a few coin vendors but more were selling cards and comic books.  The first place I stopped was an older fellow who although not a dealer likes to buy & sell coins.  I was just looking at Canadian coins and it was apparent from the pricing that some of them had been with him for a while.  I picked up some nice coins from him, a couple of them were extremely good condition.  The oldest one I got is a small 5 cent piece [they are Victoria nickels & 92% silver].  I also got a 1917 Newfoundland quarter that is pristine.  The date is prior to Newfoundland becoming a province of Canada.  I learned from the Pickers show on RV there is a benefit in putting a bundle together, so I did this with 6 coins and got what I think is a good deal.  The book value on these coins is just about 3 times what I paid.  I went to a dealer at the next booth and his coins were all much higher priced.  Even though he had a lot more coins, 4 of them silver dollars that I coveted, I never bought any from him.  There was another dealer who had a lot of inventory, most of it in bulk and a lot of foreign coins.  I kind of like this mode, so I picked out 4 older English Shillings, taking the same approach.  I bought them for less than half his asking price and the book value on them is much above his asking.  A good day for yours truly.
  When I finished and got back to the truck, Marg had another address in the GPS.  It was for the Stein Mart store in the Outlet Mall in Tempe.  We were close, so it was her turn to look for deals.  She found quite a few: a sweater and two tops, which was nice.
  Then we went for lunch at Ruby Tuesday, one of her favourites.  I had a burger and it was good, she had the salad bar.  It was OK, but she said it was a little disappointing.  Not sure if the mega salad bar the other day at Souper Salad comparison was the cause or whether they just didn't do a good salad bar.
  After lunch it was over to Lane Bryant where she managed to find some more good deals, two tops.  The pricing on both was apparently very good, I heard of discounts on some of it in the 70% range, so she was pleased with that.  We then stopped at a Nordstrom Rack store, but it was disappointing.  While she was there, I went in to Total Wine [almost next door] and found a good price on a 30 cube of Miller, a quart of Svedka Vodka and a Glen Moray scotch.
  Our best return route was on the 202 as we were right there, so took it home.  Again traffic was light, so an easy trip. When we got back Marg kicked back a bit.  I went to get mail and then fixed a cue hanger in the pool room,  Well I did a bit of visiting as well.  Supper was in tonight and that was about it for our day.
  Oops it is raining much harder now.  As I keep telling myself they need the rain here,

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like another good day of retail therapy... and good deals on the coins x

    ReplyDelete