Saturday 23 February 2019

Saturday, Feb 23rd

The day started early with lots of slicing, dicing, can opening and mixing.  Marg got the meat split evenly between the two slow cookers.  She borrowed one from Rita and has a large one.  In total 14 quarts.  There were lots of cans to open, so that was my job while she blended the ingredients.  She used the juices to rinse out the cans so she got all of the good stuff for the chili pot.  After the ingredients were all mixed, Marg transferred some to the larger pot and set them to cook.  She says its a little like stew, it needs time to get the flavours right.
  I went to the hardware store to get some screws and washers to seal the holes in the return air box that are causing my problems with water.  There was a parade on [Lost Dutchman days I think] so I had to pass through a police block on the road.  After getting the parts there was an old John Deere tractor pulling a cultivator on the road, likely from the parade. I stopped to watch it pass and to listen to the old motor pop pop away as it made its way.  Not very fast and I had to follow it up to the corner, but that was OK as I have not heard one of those for a long time.  The last time was up in Manning at a pioneer event.  I went with Bill Paulovich and Harvey and it was to drive an old JD from the Nordstrom farm in a tractor parade.  Bill started it by flipping the flywheel and was pleased as can be driving it around.  When I got back I plugged off the holes in the bottom of the air box and voila, the water quit coming in.  Now it can dry out.
  I made oatmeal for a late breakfast as neither of us had eaten.  We just went right to the chili project.  It is funny but the texture of the oatmeal is just a bit different here.  The porridge turned out great and with honey we both had our fill.
  We needed a few groceries, so went to Walmart.  Marg got a couple of unsliced loaves of bread and had the baker slice them, never knew they would do that.  We also picked up some Modelo Mexican beer to go with the chili and a bottle of wine and a few other things.
  Marg worked on her chili keeping it stirred and at the right temperature.  She waited until it was good and hot before adding seasoning.  Through the day she added more garlic, chili seasoning, Montreal steak spice, you name it and then tweaking the taste again.  Heck I thought it was good after the first seasoning.
  I went and played pool.  It must have been like spring break as everyone was out doing things after the recent cool wet weather.  Anyway there were only 3 of us today and we had lots of laughs.  I quit a bit early as Marg had to be at the cook off early as one of the entrants.  With 10 crock pots to power, they also needed some extension cords and I have a couple of very good ones, that I took along.

  The cook off was a success.  The 3 judges taste all the dishes and make a decision, then they let in the public.  Everyone is given a small sample of each chili and a card to record their choice.  The judges pick the top 3 entries and Marg won that being rated as the best chili.  The fans also vote on the most popular chili and she won that vote by the narrowest of margins [one vote].  After all the tasting and voting everyone can go and have more chili.  I had a clue when I saw two of the judges got to Marg's chili after the judging, for a bowl to eat.  It was an emotional and happy time for her after all the work she put in; I was glad to see her receive such high praise for her cooking.  A happy ending.
  Another happy moment was later in the day when we had a facetime with the family back in GP.  They were having an early celebration of Paige & Haylee's birthdays.  It was nice seeing everyone especially Paityn who has grown and changed so much since Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Marg! Was there any doubt!! Glad you got the water problem fixed Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s my Mom... well done on the Chilli triumphs! They never stood a chance against you.. sweet memories about Uncle Bill & Harvey and the tractors xx

    ReplyDelete