Monday 4 February 2019

Monday, Feb 4th

Happy birthday Anna, nice to have a facetime with you and the family.  This year her birthday coincides with the Lunar New Year.
  The weather was a bit uncertain today with rain for periods throughout the day, although it did warm up when the clouds parted enough so that the sun shone.  We talked to the boys from home and temperatures here were pretty decent by comparison to the deep freeze they were having.
  We went out for a bit this morning, I needed a haircut as well as a few other things.  On the way I dropped Marg off at Burlington Coat, one of her favourites.  There was no one else at the barbers, so I went right to the chair.  The shop owner was the only barber as well, so it was my first time with him.  It's a very friendly place and he was very chatty this morning.  I am such a poor judge of age, so I was surprised to learn that he was only 36 years old.  They call the way I get my hair cut a Gentleman's Cut, pretty funny.
  After I was done I called Marg and then over to pick her up.  Our first stop was Costco to get some parts for my hearing aids.  At home they just give them to me, but here they wanted me to leave the hearing aids for an hour so they could replace the parts.  He said there was no charge for the service, but we didn't feel like cruising the store for an hour, so left for the next stop in our adventure.  That is the place where they sell parts for park model trailers.  They sell pretty much anything you could need for them as well as for the carports or awnings.  I picked up a gallon of a coating material for the roof.  The roof seams where the carport is attached leaked a bit in the rain.  The result has been the water running down the side of the park model and ponding on the driveway, kind of defeating the benefit of having a carport - keeping dry under it.  The stuff wasn't expensive, but it will mean a trip on the roof after it all dries up.
  The next stop was Walmart, but this time the smaller store in AJ.  Although my phone is still a flip phone, it is internet enabled.  To find the minutes and days left on it, I have to connect to our account using wifi.  It turned out I have a month left and a couple hundred minutes.  This being the only phone we keep from year to year, I don't let it lapse.  I generally buy a one year card, which also usually gives me 400 minutes.  We generally get double the minutes because of the program I bought the original phone under several years ago.  There was a promotion code and I ended up with 1,200 minutes this time and even though that is more than we need, the days are what is important.
  When we got home we had lunch and added the card to the phone account.  After Marg went for the mail, so I rode with her to the pool room.  The only thing in the mail was our insurance bill.  It was too cool for water aerobics today, so she did a bit of visiting and some preparations for the party later on.  She has some tickets for the Friday entertainment in the hall that she went out to sell.  The act is a comic who uses magic and music in his act.  He is usually quite expensive, but the entertainment committee struck a deal for a percentage of the door with him.  There are a limited number of tickets, so hers are some of the only ones left.
  Happy was on our street and was pretty well attended.  It was Lorraine's birthday, so there was cake today.  After everyone left there was a supper and a bit of a party for her.  Her daughter [who is here with her family for a week] and sister organized the dinner party, so it was a bit of a numbers game, they only invited about 25 people. It was good with food and the usual array of funny cards.  I think the one Marg gave got the most laughs.
 

1 comment: