Sunday 20 January 2019

Sunday, Jan 20th

A nice day and I got out early enough to take in the worship service this morning. 
  When I got back Marg was dressed and ready for adventure, so we went into Phoenix to the Park & Swap market.  This is one we never got to last year, but had in prior years.  It is a combination of vendors selling new merchandise [even produce and kitchen supplies] and others selling used stuff, almost like a giant garage sale.  It has a large following in the ethnic community, mainly Mexican.  In fact after about an hour Marg commented that she thought she had only seen one other non-latino person.  LOL  I'm sure that was not the case, but I was more focused on what was for sale.  It appeared that every used tool in the area was for sale there.  Lots of Mexican music and food, we had a churro and it was really good.
  It was a sunny day and I forgot to wear a hat, so that was my first purchase.  The churro was second.  At the end of the market I came on to a Mexican vendor from whom I purchased some Canadian coins two years ago and he had quite a bit of U.S. and Mexican, and a few Canadian coins.  I ended up buying 8: a 50 cent piece [1950], 5 quarters [all pre-1967, one 1948] and 2 dimes [pre-1967].  After 1967 coins were no longer silver.  The coins were all in excellent condition, which is hard to believe.  We finally settled on $30 for all 8 and my check on the values indicates something in excess of $80 Cdn, although there were two that mainly made up the profit.  The dimes for which I paid $3 each were the big losers, one worth 70 cents, the other $1.10.  It is these last two that my lovely wife chooses to focus on.  It is unbelievable the stuff that was for sale.  One vendor had a huge array of brass knuckles and pepper spray, both of which are illegal in Canada.  There were some really cute kids clothes and more bra's than I have seen in one place.  There were rides for kids, you name it, almost like a carnival.  Pretty neat experience.
  On the way back it was just after noon, so we stopped at an off ramp from the 202 where there are quite a few restaurant's around the Bass Pro shop.  We have heard several people rave about the food at Bass Pro, so it was a great opportunity to try it out.  Marg had the fish & chips while I had the brisket sandwich, both were excellent, but made for a large lunch.  We have eaten in that area numerous times, but mainly at Cracker Barrel and Famous Dave's.
  Back at the park we took a bit of chill-axing time, including a bit of visiting.  As a result we never had supper tonight, but went to ice cream social where Marg had a sundae and I had a banana split.  Well that really killed any appetite we may have had.  A bit later on [8 PM], we had nachos covered with melted cheese, a great way to end the day.

1 comment:

  1. Any day that’s an ice cream dinner, can’t be a bad one... the market sounded fab! Especially the churros x

    ReplyDelete