Friday 2 February 2018

Groundhog Day, 2018

The groundhog saw his shadow, so that means 6 more weeks of winter, no early spring this year.  Well that really doesn't mean much in Arizona, but to our family and friends in Alberta, that is bad news.  Hey wait, we are only a 3 hour flight from Edmonton, what's holding you back?
  The day started out in grand style with hot sticky buns or monkey bread as Marg calls it.  This is a big hit around here especially in our place.  Marg generally takes a plate of them over to Janice next door, especially this year as she is dealing with quite a lot.  They were good and even better when I put butter on them while hot.  Life is good.  She also put some chicken, potatoes, etc. in the slow cooker, so supper was looked after early in the day.
  The neighbour behind came while I was still wearing my PJ pants, to borrow my hand truck [2 wheel cart] to move his washing machine.  It's a Splendide just like ours but he is having some mechanical problems.  Kind of startling, I almost never lounge about in my PJ's but was really laid back this morning.  After he left we spent some time on the phone with Mediacom about our bill for TV & internet.  They had sent the bill to our GP address and then it was forwarded back here.  With all that, we only got it Thursday and it was due today, so I had to pay it over the phone and get the mail directed to this address.  It was probably a result of the final bill when we left in March being sent to our home address.  We generally keep the service until a day or two before leaving, with any  luck it will be OK next month.  At the same time as this stuff, Marg put in a load of laundry.  It was darks today, it seems that we was darks and lights separately.  Who would have figured?
  It was just about time for splash & thrash, so Marg left on the cart.  I guess there were only a handful of ladies, but the pool was like a bath tub.  She had a good workout and again drove home giving one of the gals a ride in the process.  That is one thing that is working out well.  Her hip continues to be a challenge, but she skips some of the exercises substituting others that are better suited to her situation.
  I rode the bike, but just around the park and it seemed to go OK today.  I wanted to see one of the guys who fell off his ladder yesterday.  As it turns out he was still not good, so good thing I took the bike so I could return home and get him a heat pad to strap on.  Marg has these Salonpas that she swears by and whenever she gives one out to try, gets a reaction that they are miraculous.  Hope it works for Jerry.  Then I rode around and visited with a couple of other people on the way.  One was a guy putting a new hot water tank in his motorhome.  He was doing it himself, but had paid $1,000 for the replacement unit.  Note to self - look after the hot water tank in the RV.  He was having difficulty with the wiring being quite different from the old one, so I suggested he call the manufacturer.  Duh, anyway that worked out pretty well for him.
  By then we both arrived home [this is just another of our homes] and it was lunch time.  Marg made us a sandwich, which was very good.  What isn't good was that I ate the last of the Christmas baking today.  Yeh I know, I don't really need it, but I'd like to think I have moved beyond basic needs.  Have you heard of Maszlo's hierarchy of needs?  Well if not look it up, mine are fare beyond basic.  LOL
  After lunch I went to play some pool.  I ended up playing with two other guys, one really good, one average, so it was an interesting match-up.  I lost the first game when I just arrived and had to play on my own and then one other when the good player played on his own, but the rest were winners.  The best one was the last game where I played the other two and came away with a win in a come from behind effort.  Marg came to get me from the pool room as it was getting close to 3 o'clock.  I had agreed to photo the Mardi Gras parade, so it was a quick ride home to get the camera and then back to the assembly area.
  Some of the people really dressed up for it and it created interest in the dance on Saturday night.  Marg and I sat with friends near the start of the route.  While we were there we met a couple from Washington state who are new to the park but have rented their lot for the year and he is building a shed on it.  There have been quite a few new annual renters this year.  It's a difficult park to get into, so they secure their spot this way, but it's sure going to tighten up the site availability.  Anyway I took quite a few photos and posted them on my page [by mistake] and then on the tenants association FB page.  Marg's buddy Lynette was the Queen of the Mardis Gras.
  Supper was the slow cooker chicken and it was good.  Again a dish for next door.  A little later, Randy [2 doors down] came to chat with Marg.  She is kind of like a mother hen here, not just at home.  I'm thinking of getting her a booth and sign like in Charlie Brown comics - the doctor is in 5cents. 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like they are keeping you in your toes... bit different from winter in canada x

    ReplyDelete