Wednesday 24 January 2018

Wednesday, Jan 24th

News Flash - the weather turned warm and it was a gorgeous day in the valley, reaching well into the 70's today.  Now this is the Arizona we signed up for.
  Got up early and went with the group from the park to Apache Sun this morning.  We are starting to have a full golf group Wednesday mornings now.  I had a good round, starting out on the par 5 with a bogie, left the putt about 2 inches from the cup. I had 3 putts today like that.  Now you might think that was enough to be a downer, but the 2nd hole was a par, the result of a great putt.  I drove well and putted reasonably well and after 8 I was 40.  I hit a great drive on #9, chipped on and 4 putted, oh well still a good round for me and the weather was great.  The guys in the foursome are some of the ones I enjoy playing with. I rode with old Joe who is a real character, but still plays some good golf.
  When I got home, we had a bite to eat and then went down to a celebration of life for one of our residents who passed away in December.  Her family from Iowa were here and they were amazed at how many people attended, the hall was full.  It was nice because she had several very good friends and it gave them closure.  For my part I took a few pictures at the request of the park manager and put them on the association FB site.
  After I played pool.  It seems I was in the shark tank, as the guys I played with are 3 of the better players here and there were some very good games.  Even though I was on the losing side quite a few times, we had fun.  I think I should always beware of playing with anyone from Minnesota.  LOL  While I played, Marg went out for a few things.  They were the items she went out for yesterday and got detoured and still needed.  One of them was bread and buns, which she wanted for the supper tonight.
  After I spent some time getting the photo's posted it was time for supper, so we made our way to the hall.  The Turkey Soup supper is a long standing event here.  It started as a way to deal with leftover turkey from Christmas and is so popular they have to buy more turkey to use for it.  The hall was full tonight and seating is a bit of a challenge when that happens.  For that reason we never sat with the people we usually hang with, fortunately our circle of friends is larger than that and we sat with some we see less of, which was nice.  In fact the pastor and his wife were at our table.  Marg had brought two types of fresh buns and both were very good, so when we shared them at the table and she produced a dish of butter, it was a big hit.  The soup was good and there was lots of it.  The only bad thing was a medical emergency in the hall.  A guy collapsed and they called the ambulance.  A couple of us guys went out to direct the emergency responders to the right place, my place was near the gate.  The fellow was checked and then sent to the hospital in the ambulance.  Turned out he was mainly dehydrated and the room was fairly warm.  It turned out he was fine and returned home in the evening.
  A funny story, Marg was out for a bit and one of the residents came by asking about the status of the event.  She told  him he should go in and have the turkey soup; that there was lots.  He said I'm not eating that, the last guy who did is being looked after by all these emergency vehicles.  Marg responded that lots of us ate it an we were all fine, to which he said - You're not home yet are you?  Then after they took the guy away her and some ladies gave the firefighters a couple of ice cream pails of soup as well as some fresh bread and the rolls Marg had left.
  After supper I played poker, we had two tables again tonight.  I got the lucky seat and had a good night.  I guess I got there a few minutes early, but when I started winning the banter about getting there early started up.  Anyway when I got back I had to dump some money out of my bag so I don't look quite so successful next week.  Appearances are really important when it comes to this.
  Marg had some personal time and basically attended to her self, you know things like hair dye, legs shaved, shower, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Glad he was alright and it wasn’t the soup... am sure the firemen were delighted being sent home with food xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he was ok. Sounds like a good time out there!

    ReplyDelete