Thursday 2 February 2017

Groundhog Day 2017

Well a bit of a confusing message.  The groundhog in Wiarton never saw it's shadow, so that means an early end of winter and early spring.  The one in PA saw it's shadow and decreed that there will be 6 more weeks of winter.  I take it that our route home could be in wintery conditions but as soon as we get to the border the sun will shine and flowers will bloom.  ;>))
  It was a nice day here in the Valley and it's good timing as the park-wide patio sale is tomorrow.
  Marg & I both went to the coffee klatch this morning.  Our table was second last one drawn and I had a couple of guys kidding me about that.  Well in fairness that's what I do to them when I am an one of the first tables drawn.  I offered one of the early guys 2 bucks to bring back 2 extra donuts to try and beat the system, but he was having none of it.  Then a surprise another fellow bought an extra donut and dropped it off for me.  It was really funny because there was a lot of groaning at our table, so I got in line anyway after giving it to Marg.
  With the park sale being tomorrow, the raffle will be held then so the prizes were all out on display.  This is probably the biggest selection of prizes yet and they were all laid out to attract raffle ticket buyers.  It worked on me and I bought some in Marg's name as I never win at these things.  It's kind of a standing joke that people buy tickets so they can win back what they donated. 

  
  After coffee Marg went with the crew to the kitchen where they fried up tons of hamburger and chopped and diced the ingredients to get the ingredients to the very popular Sloppy Joe's ready.  They will sell a large number of these to both park residents and visitors.  There will also be baked goods and pie for sale tomorrow.  It will all be staged so that people are there for the raffle draws and food sales culminating in a successful sale.


  The park sale actually starts today so that all the people working at the event can tour the park and get in on the great deals.  I went back to the park model where I put prices on our two items we wanted to get rid of: a headboard and a warming tray with 3 pots to keep food warm for larger gatherings.  Then I went and delivered handbills to all the units on our street [happy hour lane], it had details of the Saturday morning breakfast and the ice cream social on Sunday.  These are mainly for the benefit of the new people in the park [day campers] but also serve as reminders to the longer term residents.  Marg went to help Lynette put some things out and she still had some of Bud's tools that she wanted to sell.  Gary had stopped in to visit me, so we went down to help give them an idea of what she could ask for some of them.  I went back to keep an eye on things at our place in case anyone wanted to buy one of our two good deals.
  Marg went to look at other people's good deals.  After a while a golf cart showed up here with 3 little side tables that they were delivering for her, so I knew she was still out there.  Then the park manager showed up with Marg on the cart.  At first I thought he was just being courteous, but then I saw the blood soaked paper towel on her foot.  Apparently she dropped a drinking glass on her foot while loading the tables on the other golf cart, then sent them ahead while she tried to clean up the broken glass.  Well it caused quite a stir and other people stepped in to help clean up and although she started walking, they got her the ride home.  There was a lot of blood and it was flowing freely, so I wanted to take her to urgent care to get it looked at, but she wasn't having any of it.  I managed to get it cleaned up a bit and put on enough Band-Aid's [plasters to my UK family] to get the bleeding under control.  I think it was at this time I sold the warming trays, well gave them away actually to a friend of Marg's.  Shortly after Linda showed up with Sherry [retired nurse] and some butterfly Band-Aids.  Apparently my job was inadequate and Sherry cleaned it up and used the butterfly version to hold the cut together.  Then it evolved into a mini-happy hour with a couple of the ladies sharing a root beer cooler and Kenny & I having a whiskey.
  After they cleared out, we went to happy hour. All this time, Marg just drank water, but I had a beer.  After happy, Lynette gave Marg a ride home and being left to walk home I did just that.  We went out to eat at the Village Inn and coincidentally both had turkey dinner.  Marg's side was a salad while mine was strawberry/rhubarb pie.
  Think positive thoughts and keep Vanessa in your prayers tonight as she is back in the hospital to deal with a some problems she had yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hope Mom's foot is alright... sounds serious. Lots of prayers for Vanessa today... Xx

    ReplyDelete