Monday 23 January 2017

Monday Jan 23rd

So I am thinking Larry isn't riding right now and there is a chilly wind blowing, so I might just sit here and read until I am ready for my shower.  The along come a couple of guys that I had not expected today and I had to dress quickly, yes I was still in my jammies.  Well so was Marg.  We road out to the east and Pat gave the donkey a few carrots.  He seemed very happy with it, not Pat, the donkey.  I made about 4 miles today, the other two continued on, but that was enough for me.  Early in the morning, Marg took the ribs we marinated and put them in the slow cooker in a mixture with the bbq sauce to get them ready for supper.
  We had visitors in the morning, it seems there is some drama unfolding in the rv park and they just wanted someone to talk to.  He made it clear up front that he was not looking for help or suggestions, just a sympathetic ear.  Kind of reminded me of when I was working, we used to allow something we tended to call recreational bitching or complaining, actually.  I had forgot about that until today.  Anyway he talked about his thoughts on it and at a couple of points we either nodded or sympathized.  I saw him later in the afternoon and it seems to have settled down and while not happy had a solution he could live with.  I just keep telling everyone, I'm just here to have fun; but sometimes when a friend makes a request like this one, you just have to be there.
  After that workout, I needed the shower I had been putting off and it was a nice way to relax after the ride.  Marg did a load of laundry this morning and got out the drying rack from yesterday.  She did the steaming of whatever needed it and got it all put away.  While the air drying is a bit of a throw-back it seems to be working for her and the garments are very different when dried this way.
  I learned something new today about electricity.  One of our friends had an abnormally high electricity bill and it seems there had been a wire that grounded and caused a hot receptacle with the result being a constant draw of electricity through the meter.  Fortunately Gary from the park came to change out her meter and discovered the problem.  Apparently the wire was blackened and was likely a potential fire hazard.  No one had been messing with the wire or plug in since she has owned the park model, so it seems it just happened.  Something to be aware of I guess.
  Lunch was french toast using up the buns left from the turkey soup dinner.  They were really good buns and by now you know that french toast is a no-brainer for me.  It was as good as anticipated and made for a great lunch. 
  After lunch Marg went out to look for some shoes.  Her shoes are getting quite worn down and while she has lots of sandals, she wanted to get a good close-toe shoe.  As luck would have it she found them at Bells and today there was some special promo discount, so even better.  She also found some real good nail clippers, our old ones were just about done and were more properly nail rippers or hackers.  Me I went and played pool.  It started out just two of us that became three and ultimately four.  All good guys and we had a bit of fun with it.  One of the guys is usually a serious player, but I think even he was having a bit of fun, nice to see.  I had a good day and won as many as I lost, except for the game where I missed an 8 ball that was sitting in front of a pocket.  Arghhh.
  One of the guys had been showing his neighbour how to install click laminate flooring, so after pool, he and I went over to see how it was going.  As it turned out, not well and the guy had quit in frustration.  Gene asked him to show us and low & behold he had only 3 pieces installed.  Right off I discovered he never bought the installation kit, so I went home to get the one I used when doing it in our place.  We started in showing him how it goes and how to piece it together so he wouldn't get discouraged.  Soon both of us with bad knees were down there working with him, but the lady of the house came out with some cushions to kneel on, thank you.  When I left after about 45 minutes, we had it all except for the last row done.
  Well it was happy hour and I had to get there.  As it was I almost missed it, but we did manage to get there for a little over a half hour.  Now it may seem a bit callous, but the last 3 pieces need to be ripped length-wise and all he has its a skill saw, so would probably take - well too much time and besides there is still tomorrow.  LOL  Priorities!  Oh yeh and I smashed my thumb while holding and pounding on the block to close up the gap.  Well it's turning black, so don't laugh, that's what the guys were doing when I left anyway.
  Back home for supper and the ribs turned out very good.  For a change we had them with mashed potato and creamed corn.  It turned out great and we ate like royalty.  I think we are on to something new.
  A couple of more cooler days and then it's supposed to warm up to seasonal norms.  I think we are about 10 degrees normal right now and not all that happy about it.  Oh well, it's warmer than home.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Ann & Ed are in Scottsdale right now and not pleased about all the rain lol x

    ReplyDelete