Saturday 29 February 2020

Leap Year / Sadie Hawkins Day, 2020

  Years divisible by 4 are Leap Years and that is today.  In parts of the southern U.S. it was traditionally known as Sadie Hawkins Day - the one day in every four years where a woman could chase a man to ask for a date or even his hand in marriage.  Reflecting back to the year we were married it was not a multiple of 4, so it does not appear Marg made the overture, rather it was me who took the leap.
  It was a gorgeous day in the valley, we were so pleased to be out and about today.  I don't know how warm it got, but the forecast was 80 F and I did see 78 today.  I think it was 24 C or 25 on the truck thermometer.  No matter it was shorts and tees with the windows down.  We often like the old fashioned air conditioning - the model 260.  Two windows open at 60 mph rather than using the AC.
  We went out early in the day.  There was a coin show in Mesa at a Holiday Inn.  It was a bigger show than the others we have been to and there was a charge at the door of $2 each.  The only problem with that was they stamp your hand and as soon as you go to the bathroom you wash it off.  LOL  There were a few dealers that I have had success with in the past who had stalls at this sale.  I bought coins from two of them as well as two other sellers.  Many of the vendors don't carry much in the way of Canadian coin, which is what I mainly buy.  I got some silver dollars that are of incredible quality as well as a couple of quarters and 3 or 4 old nickels.  The nickels are pure silver if they are old enough.  Two of the dollars and the smaller coins all date in the 1800's.  One of the silver dollars is the first year dollars were issued and another is the second, both of incredible quality.  They were not cheap, but they were bargains.  The combined book values on them are significantly more than double what I paid, so I am happy.  One dealer I stopped at and actually bought two coins also had some very old stuff.  They were coins issued by the Roman Empire with the heads being some of the ruling Caesars.  These were very interesting as I had never seen coins that old before, I looked at some in the 300 AD years.  The quality was OK, but hard to believe they were as good as they were and that he had a few dozen of them.  The only foolish purchase was I bought a commemorative coin that was honoring the construction of the Muttart Conservatory.  I worked for Muttart's for 5 years and it was a kind of nostalgic moment and it was only $2, so I gave in to a whim.
  Leaving there we went to a Costco just up the street.  The fuel prices there were great at $2.69 per gallon, about 30 cents less than here in AJ.  It was very busy so that took a bit of time.  Leaving there we went to a Del Taco where Marg had a coupon.  It was our first time in one of these, so a bit of a new experience. The deal was incredible, two burrito platters with drinks for $10 and the food was good.  The Pico de Gallo was nice, the burrito was a bit spicy, but not too much, so we were happy with that as well.
  It was something like 1:30 when we got home.  Traffic on the #60 freeway was fairly heavy but the HOV lane went pretty good.  At home Marg got together with everyone on the entertainment committee to make arrangements for a get together.  I went to play pool and got in with a couple of pretty good players, well better than me anyway.  At 4 she went down to the clubhouse where they put up a few decorations for the Leap Year dance.  The motif or theme was around a leaping frog, took me a bit to get what the frog means.  I did some research and sorting on the coins, probably to convince myself I never was taken to the cleaners.  Breathed a sigh of relief when I completed that.
  Supper was something light as we had a large lunch.  It's funny how we both are thinking the same thing on stuff like that.  Marg asked what I wanted to eat and my reply was something light.  It turned out she was thinking along those lines as well.
  We went to the Leap Year dance at 7 and it was over by about 9:30.  It was a free event provided by the association and there was a respectable crowd tonight.  A fun time and a chance to cuddle with your best gal.  Can't do this again for 4 years now.

1 comment:

  1. Love that the dance was over by 9:30 .. I think even I could manage that lol x

    ReplyDelete