Friday 30 November 2018

Friday, Nov 30th

It rained pretty hard last night, typical for this time of the year.  In fact there was snow in the high country, Flagstaff had 6 inches and Snowbowl had 10 inches yesterday.  That too is common this time of year, but generally only at higher elevations, not down in the valley.  The only bad thing about it was the golf cart seat was wet.
  The guys came by to go bike riding, but I was still in the shower, not thinking they would go with the weather being cooler like it was.  We went out to pick up a few things.  First I stopped at the AJ Food Bank where I dropped off my aluminum cans as a donation.  Then we went over to Best Hardware where I found Spray Nine.  I was glad to finally find it here as it comes in handy for so many things, but especially bugs on the car front and yellow headlights.  While checking the place out, Marg came across a coffee urn that was priced to get rid of it and offered the sales guy $10 for it, which he accepted.  Next we went to the Superstition Ranch market where Marg got vegetables and oranges.  I also threw a package of Horehound lozenges in the buggy.  They seem to be one of the more effective ones for a nagging cough and work pretty good for Marg.  Finally we stopped in at Safeway.  It's funny Marg's Safeway card doesn't work at home now, but it still works here.  With it we both get better prices on most products and a fuel discount.  Apparently our fuel discount is 20 cents a gallon now.  This stop was mainly to pick up things we needed for happy hour today as well as for the house.  An unexpected bonus was a deal on TBone steaks.

I think she picked up about a half dozen.  The steaks are nice and thick, so will be great on the bbq and they have a large tenderloin piece.  Best of all the deal was about 65% off the regular price.
  When we got back to the park we had a bite to eat [planned overs] and I went to play pool.  Marg stayed in to get a few things ready for happy hour.  I played with a guy from California, one from Missouri and a third from Ontario.  I took an extra cue along for the guy from Ontario.  I have played all 3 many times, anyway a pretty good group.  We had some good games, but the last one was the most competitive.  My partner and I won, but it involved a lot of tactical play and a few snookers before it happened.  My game has been struggling a bit lately, but I can still shoot a hook, er snooker pretty well.
  We had a good group for happy today, probably about 20 or so.  Marg had some nice snacks out, a cheese roll, nachos, hot chili cheese sauce, cheese & crackers and a nice pot of hot chocolate in the new urn with marshmallows and whip cream topping.  It was a bit cool, so this went over very well.  A lot of people went to a pig roast in the park.  We were invited to the roast, but passed because of prior commitments to host happy and to go out for dinner.  There were a few people at happy that don't normally attend and one lady who lost her husband a while ago and has been keeping to herself a bit too much.  I had the gas fire pit out which made it nice and cozy in the breezeway.
  After we went to dinner with: Kenny, Doris, Jerry, Pat & Lynett.  All good friends.  We went to Golden Corral where everyone over-eats at the buffet.  I just had a small steak and not too much for sides, so would have been OK but they had bread pudding, oh well it was pretty good.

1 comment: