Friday 23 November 2018

Black Friday, 2018

Chilly night again that turned in to a very nice day.  One thing about the cool evenings is it keeps the critters in hibernation mode, so we don't see the reptiles, like snakes, lizards that kind of thing, but it does require a light jacket when the sun goes down.
  Marg did laundry this morning.  She had bought a new set of cotton sheets and when she went to open the package discovered the store clerk had not taken of the anti-theft tag.  The problem happens when the clerk bags the item and assume they did their job.  How many times do you pull it out and check, well never would be the correct answer.  This has happened to us once or twice in the past, so we have some experience dealing with it.  I just cut the packaging away and then cut the pin that holds the two parts together.  It does require a bit of care so as not to release the permanent stain ink in the large part of the tag.  If it had been me, you would be asking - did he pay for it?  But as it is Marg you are probably asking - why didn't the store clerk do her job and remove the tag?
  The neighbour across the road is having some sewer problems in his 5th wheel trailer, so I lent him a few things to help, but he seems to have the problem in hand.  I took the sticks I brought down over to Smitty as he is in the park now.  We will see very shortly whether I brought firewood or diamond willow good for canes.  Then I went out to Harbor Freight to get a wheel for the bbq.  One of them broke, just cheap plastic and it does need to be level.  Also got a couple paint brushes and my freebee was a blue plastic tarp.  I probably should have waited as black Friday lines at the till were not good.  I think each line was at least 20 people long.  Got back in time to have the bbq fixed before lunch.
  Lunch was a grilled sandwich, very nice.  After lunch I went to play pool.  I played an old guy who beat me 3 straight, Oh well, some days you are the windshield, some days the bug.  Fortunately Marg came along to get me to go on a road trip, so left when we finished up the 3rd game.  She had tried to phone me before that, but apparently the phone needs to be charged every so often or it doesn't work.  I guess I'm still getting accustomed to having one as we only have the one that we share at home.  It turned out that Kenny and Doris wanted to go to Sears.  They are all in chapter 11 here so in liquidation mode and he has a credit on his account that he wanted to use before they are gone.  The big rush on Black Friday is for the door opening specials, but we weren't certain how long it lasts.  Earlier I had found a couple of stores that seemed to be operating, one in Phoenix and the other in Glendale.  The chain had split off all it's appliance business so there are still Sears Outlet stores selling appliances while the rest is failing.  Anyway we went to he Phoenix store at Paradise Valley.  It was about 40 km on the freeway from here, so I offered to drive knowing it would be close to rush hour on our return, so Kenny wouldn't have to navigate that traffic with it possibly being increased by black Friday.  I managed to get a pool cue carry case, Marg didn't pick up anything, although there were a few things she looked at.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to get here interested in gold earrings as they were 75% off and there were two real nice sets.  They were a real bargain at that discount level.  Kenny got a nice solar watch & Doris a few things to wear.
  We were back in the park to catch the last part of happy hour.  It was a smaller group today, maybe some of our park were out in that freeway traffic.  Then it was back home where I bbq'd a couple burgers and Marg made a pot of beans.  A nice change from the huge meal we ate yesterday.  Then we went out to Walmart after supper.  As it turns out the store was still fairly busy and there were still some deals to be had.  We mainly went for groceries, but got a few other things.  We were looking for solar lights and decorations for the golf cart as there will be a Christmas parade before we leave.  We weren't all that successful on these two things or in finding any other great deals, on anything we really needed.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wondered how bad the shops would be on Black Friday... can’t believe you going out in them...

    ReplyDelete