Friday 29 March 2019

Friday, March 29th

Another nice day, just like yesterday and tomorrow.  The weather is really settling in to a normal pattern for this time of year.  It was 21C on the truck when we went out at about 10 AM.
  We got off to a slow start today, so Marg made French toast with the left over buns from yesterday.  They were a bit heavier than bread, but that didn't seem to matter, they tasted great.  There were a few neighbours out and  about, so Marg waved Mark over.  He is a bachelor who lives at the end of our street and is a bit of a free spirit, a good natured fellow.  She gave him the left over pork, then added the  chocolate cake and two fresh oranges. 
  After that we went out to Walmart for a few groceries and other things.  We went to the mega store on Signal Butte rather than the local one to get better selection.  I got some glue traps for when we leave and Marg some medication for the allergy problem she is having with all this pollen.  On the way back I stopped at Basha's to check our lottery tickets, no winners.  On the way I notice gasoline has increased in price again.  This always happens at the end of March when everyone is fuelling to head home. I think it has gone up about 40 cents a gallon in the last 3 weeks.  The locals say as soon as the winter visitor are gone all prices come back down.
  Back at home for a quick bite to eat and I spent some time on the internet looking at weather and road conditions.  It looks like a Wednesday departure date will give us the best travel conditions, so that is our current plan.
  In the afternoon I played pool for a couple of hours with a fun bunch of guys.  I sure didn't bring my A game today, but it was good enough to get a few wins.  Marg made a coleslaw for the dinner this evening at the clubhouse.
  At 4 o'clock I went to the clubhouse to join the kitchen crew.  My job today was toasting buns on the grill.  It's a bit of a challenge to get enough grill space as I share it with Gary when he is cooking the hamburgers.  My biggest challenge was to get the heat right so I was toasting but not burning them.  I have not done this for a while, so it's a bit of a rodeo getting a system that works well.  When he cooks burgers, he has 20 on the grill, but I only had room for 12 buns.  The people are lined up and orders come in fast, so no room for wasted motion.  We cooked about 80 burgers before we finished and had ours.  The table in the center was filled with salads and such, then they had a large cake and ice cream.  The whole event was put on by the family for Tony & Vi's 50th, they were sure surprised.

1 comment: