Saturday 24 February 2018

Saturday, Feb 24th.

We used the vaporizer all night last night and both of us woke up with our sinus & lungs just a bit clearer.  The only negative was we had water running down just about all the windows in the trailer.  Went through just about a roll of paper towel drying them on the inside.  A combination of a very cool night and single pane windows.  Well the new vaporizer sure works well.
  It being Saturday there is a big breakfast in the hall, but I preferred oatmeal and that was breakfast this morning.  With these cool mornings, the old spurtle is getting a real workout this February.
  Marg went out for a little retail therapy.  She is actually looking for a dress for a special wedding we plan on attending this summer.  She found one she thought was perfect, but the size she wanted was not available at that store.  Ross's have others in the area, so I suspect that will be the next step.  The only things she got were a table cloth and a house warming gift for a friend.
  I worked on getting a couple of posts on the tenants association FB page for events next week.  It is not a big deal except I have to scan the notice because it is so small, then crop it so it is useful and that takes a bit of time.  The new printer is much better for scanning than my old ones.  My plan is to get rid of both of them when I get home and just use this one,
  Marg came home for lunch and then after lunch I worked on the panels for the side of the carport.  I had to modify them so that I didn't create a wall in front of the neighbours bedroom window.  Well I thought I did, but as it turns out he didn't care either way.  I was feeling a little self-conscious working outside their bedroom window, but it's done.  Now all I have left is the end piece.  Wink had given me a bunch of screws to use on the aluminum panels and frame and they are amazing, no need to pre-drill.  I ran in to a problem and we went to the store that sells this stuff, but they never had the part I was looking for, so I will just have to work around it.  To cut this stuff I just put a plywood blade in the skill saw backwards and it seems to be doing the trick.
  It was getting late in the afternoon, so time to pack up the tools and get ready to go out.  We went to the Chili Cook-off in the park.  This is the second year doing this and they had 9 entries in the competition.  They charge everyone $2 to attend and that gives each person a sample from each entrant.  The idea is to taste them all and rate one as the fan favourite.  There is a panel of 5 judges, three from the event sponsor and they pick the best: 1, 2 & 3.  After everyone has the samples evaluated and entered their ballot, they are welcome to go fill a bowl with their favourite.  A lot of the people had enough with samples, but most went to get a bowl, there was a lot of chili.  There was a wide variety in the 9 entries, something for everyone:  a vegan version, an entry using venison, one using chicken, but most using pork or beef.  There were a couple of mild, most spicy and 3 that were very spicy.  Marg had 3 samples she could not finish as they were too hot, me it was 2  So here we sit waiting to see if there is an after-burn on what we ate.  It was well attended and a fun event.  The chicken one was good, but it was one that neither of us could finish, it was cooked by a guy from New Mexico.  A bit of a surprise, the venison one was judged to be the best.  Now where are those antacid tablets?

1 comment:

  1. Gave me heartburn just reading about the chilli lol Excited tobhear that Mom may have found a dress... can’t wait to see it x

    ReplyDelete