Saturday 17 February 2018

Saturday, Feb 17th

  Happy birthday Kenney, happy 17th.  Sorry we missed you when we called.
The nights are noticeably cooler these days, so it takes a bit longer for the day to warm up.  The daytime highs have also been cooler, although we did reach 70F today this cooling trend is expected for much of next week.
  Rather than go out for breakfast, I made oatmeal this morning, well for me anyway, as Marg passed on it in favour of coffee & yogurt.  We had a commitment to go to the parking lot flea market again today.  It was the same one as last Saturday but it turned out to be a larger version.  Lynett's daughter and grandson arrived yesterday and they wanted to go as the young fellow is interested in coins and rocks.  They took their own car as he had not been feeling well just in case they had to return early. There was lots of interesting stuff, but the only thing I bought was 3 Canadian coins from the same guy as last weekend.  He recalled my earlier purchase so I got them for $15, he was asking $28.  On checking their value when I got home, they appear to be a pretty good deal.  The young fellow got a couple of U.S. coins for $8 each that also seem to be a good deal as well as an assortment of rocks.  The two coins he paid $8 each seem to be worth $70.   He seemed really pleased with the geode he got.  There was a real variety of objects, something for everyone.  I liked some of the old knives/swords, but the good ones were pretty expensive.  Old bayonets & swords must be real popular from the asking prices.
  Our next stop was a coin shop recommended to us by the vendor, he said they had fair pricing and were negotiable.  As it was close by, we both went to check it out.  The entrance had a heavy wire cage so the operator could check us out before buzzing us in.  I guess we passed the test.  They had a wide selection, some high dollar value stuff like gold and silver bullion.  The coins and bills were mostly U.S., but we did find a reasonable selection of foreign stuff.  From his clearance stuff, I got some good coins, the best of which was an 1880 quarter that I paid $30 and condition rated as VG.  It was marked as regular $60, asking $35.  When I got home I checked it and it is worth between $110 - $230, depending on condition, the upper end being if it really is VG.  It is somewhere between G & VG, so time will tell.  It is easily the oldest Canadian silver coin I own at 137 yrs.  I also got some other stuff, the best of which are a Cdn penny & dime on which I got a couple bucks off.  Lynett was picking through a bin for me and I picked up 9 coins from her efforts for $2.25 and they turned out to be well priced, so a successful day.  They have current coins thrown in with old ones in this area, so a person has to be careful, especially in the English coin.  By my reckoning I am up on my day by something in the order of between $100-$250, largely on the quarter.
  When we got back we had a bite of lunch and then I went to see if anyone was playing pool.  There wasn't so I worked on a way to put an advertising message on the new bingo machine.  They installed it yesterday and it will be an interesting change.  I think I have something that will work, but it might take a bit of trial and error.
  Marg had some visitors and then she went around the park on her cart, checked the mail, etc.  Then we went to happy at Kenny & Doris' place.  There was a pretty good sized crowd today.  Marg left a bit early as she had some prep work to do for supper as we were having company.  When she got home our two mini-visitors from across the road came to see her - for a hug.  Well that and a chocolate.  She allowed it cautioning them to save the chocolate for after supper.  They just come right in now, really funny.  Anyway Mason said hey Marg, why is there an unwrapped chocolate in here, to which she replied oh, those are for Dave.  They are about to be disappointed as the bowl is nearing empty.  Jenn came running over to see if they were causing a problem, saying she could hardly wait until the parents go home as the kids are better when it's just them, something her and Marg seemed to agree on.  Oops did I say that.  Kenny and Doris came for Reuben sandwiches we had at supper and Doris brought a coconut cream pie she made.  Her pies are as legendary as Marg's Reuben's, so it was very good.
  I almost forgot - Skunk update.  Today Gary caught the 3rd skunk, still using marshmallows.  The pest control guy thinks pet food must be attracting and sustaining them.  This time Gary was not so fortunate and got Skunked a bit.  Glad I wasn't there for that.
  By my standards a busy day in the valley of the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Your going to need a bigger Safe with all that dosh x

    ReplyDelete