Saturday 27 January 2018

Saturday, Jan 27th

Can hardly believe it, the last Saturday in January.  The day started out a bit cooler, but by mid-morning was very nice.  It was in the 60's [cool for here, but warm for home] and once the sun got up was well into the 70's.  We slept on the new pillows last night, not sure if they are staying just yet as we both had trouble adjusting to them.  The good news is they came from Costco.
  I went for breakfast in the Rec hall and it was a good one today.  It was Lynette's crew and they always do a good breakfast.  The french toast and blueberry pancakes were both excellent, difficult to choose between the two, so I had one of each.  Marg on the other hand had her usual, a yogurt at 10 AM.  They had a good crowd this morning, nice to see their effort rewarded that way.
  We had to hang around a bit as we had a commitment to have visitors this morning.  They wanted a place to meet where they would be on neutral ground and not subject to a lot of scrutiny that would raise questions.  Does that pique your curiosity?  Well elections are coming up in a couple of weeks for the tenants association executive here in the park and they wanted to talk about their interest in allowing their names to stand for election.  Where did I fit in?  Well I sat out back on the patio in the sun reading my pocket book, oh yes, I offered them each a bottle of cold water from my beer fridge.  Marg on the other hand sat in the house through the discussions, I think they lasted about an hour.  I believe they have some people who will be allowing their name to stand for a few, but certainly not all of the positions.  There has been some controversy among some of the tenants this past while that seems to have led to this.  It's just part of the challenge of dealing with volunteers, much like working in a service club.  People are prepared to contribute in various ways and not everyone wants or sees things the same.  Some people are natural leaders and others content to follow for their own reasons. Hey that is pretty philosophical for me.  I may try poetry next.
  While they chatted, I went all around the trailer spraying for weeds.  Believe it or not, there are weeds that thrive in the desert, nothing useful, just stuff you don't want.  In fact they do very well and this year I had to get a pair of branch loppers to cut the thick stems on some of them out back.  There is also some kind of weed that looks like grass but has sharp almost spear points on it, so I try to kill them before they get established.
  Well all that and it was time for lunch.  Marg's friend Linda passing by commented about a big breakfast so why a lunch.  Obviously she just doesn't understand.  I could say that I asked for lunch so Marg could eat something, considering the not very filling effect of a yogurt, but the truth is -- It was LUNCH time.  A nice sandwich, made nicer by her making it.
  After lunch I drove to the Fiesta mall, that is quite far by the way and involves time on the freeway at about 70 mph.  We went to the Dillard's last call store.  Dillard's is a fairly expensive store with good quality clothing and send the clearance merchandise from all the area stores to this one.  The deals are excellent, with price tags about 1/3rd of the retail tag and then today there was an extra 30% off.  How good is the deal, well I had two tee shirts that were marked around $50 that cost around $8 when the math was done.  The store is huge, for comparison, I would guess the store space was at least as large as our local Costco store at home and is wall to wall racks of clothes.  I think Marg only found one top today while I read a few chapters of a western titled " A good day to kill."
  When we got back we toured around a bit on the cart.  Stopped in for mail and actually had some from home.  The $150 we paid to have our mail sent down at work.  Stopped in to visit with several folks, ended up at Kenny & Doris' place for a while.  He still plays a guitar pretty well.  I forgot to mention yesterday when I stopped by to get him for pool he played a few minute of "Under the double eagle".  A bit of a sentimental piece for me as it always makes me think of Marg.
  By then it was 4 o'clock and well all know that is Happy Hour.  Had to go home to get our camp chairs and my one beer.  It was at Dahlberg's and they had a good sized crowd today.
  Time to eat again, so it was home to bbq a nice T-bone steak and some nice baking potato's.  As I said yesterday, time to eat in.  Although the restaurant food is good, it doesn't take long before I look forward to eating something home cooked.  It's just a result of being married to such a great cook, I guess. Between us we got it done and had a nice supper.
  The weather is supposed to get warmer starting tomorrow.  The forecast high is in the 80's for a few days now.
 

2 comments:

  1. You didn't volunteer to get on the board? Hello to Kenny and Doris from Richard and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually get pretty good coverage of the US elections over here, and we have been watching quite a bit of Whitehouse drama as well. That must be why when you said that you were stationed out back I saw you in dark glasses with an earpiece in and talking into your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete