Sunday 26 February 2017

Sunday

The forecast was not all that great, but the sun shone and it was a nice day.
  I went to the church service in the rec hall this morning and it was well attended.  The pastor's wife came over to ask me how many more Sunday's I would be with them and I told her this was my last as we would be leaving for home this week.  It was a nice service and as usual Pastor Don gave a meaningful sermon.  Then I took the truck down there to pick up a dozen chairs.  Gary gave me a hand picking out the chairs and getting them loaded, well the shower was for his new grand daughter, so I guess he had a stake in it.  By that time I was getting peckish, so she made fried eggs and toast, even some cinnamon bread toast, that just hit the spot.
  Marg in the mean time was getting the food prep finished and the place laid out the way she wanted it.  One of the ladies helping made a cake & punch and the other brought a veggie tray.  Marg had a couple platters of wraps, a cheese tray, a bunch of crackers, the chocolate cake, the chocolate balls covered in white chocolate, salsa and tortilla chips.  After we got the chairs unloaded, I helped Marg a bit with moving stuff around.  Then the ladies helping with the shower came by to decorate and I helped a bit with that like by doing the stuff they couldn't reach.  One of the husbands stopped by to say a couple of them were playing pool today at 1 if I wanted to join in.
  That meant a hurried trip to the Mesa market to visit with the book lady.  I traded in the ones I had read and picked up 5 new to me books.  Her daughter was there helping her out and they kind of know me by now, so I asked how long her mother has been doing this.  Turns out it's 17 years and she used to be a glass blower.  The place was a zoo, almost no parking, so I was glad to get out in short order.  Stopped for fuel on the way home and paid $2.03/gallon at Circle K.  When I got home there were a few ladies there already.
  So I headed down to the pool room.  On the road there I passed quite a number of ladies walking to our place with nicely decorated gift bags, mostly in pink.  I think Marg had close to 30 ladies and they had a ball.  Her partners in putting this on were skeptical of the games she organized and they turned out to be a hit.  Apparently most showers here they just have a punch and no food, just some mints, so this was very different.  The baby was showered with some great gifts, in fact the wagon they had for gifts only held about 1/3 of them.  The young couple were delighted.  Several people said it was the best shower they have ever attended, others raved about the food.  There were some emotional moments for Marg with her friends.  In fact the park manager said how sad she was that we were leaving early and what a very special person Marg is in this place.  As you might expect it was a bit of a farewell to her friends as well as a successful baby shower.
  Me on the other hand had my hands full with the two guys in the pool hall.  They are very good players and the competition was tough.  There wasn't a bunch of that touchy feely stuff like the shower, rather it was each man for himself and the devil take the hind-most.  I did get my share of wins and took some beatings, but it was fun.
  After we finished the guys came back with me to help return the chairs.  They had a beer and a plate of snacks and sweets, there was still lots left when we got there.  It was kind of funny, Marg said the guys [one in particular] ate more than any of the women.  Well duh, we worked hard around that pool table.
  Supper was a bbq, 2 very nice rib eye steaks with baked potato.  Nice have a breather for a bit.  Then after supper Marg packed most of the clothes and much of the food out of the cupboards to get ready to load tomorrow.  We will likely return the Mediacom stuff tomorrow, so that will be the end of the TV, Internet & land line phone.  We will hang on to them as long as possible, but later in the afternoon will pull the plug.  As a result there will not likely be a blog or any FB posts tomorrow.  We will still have our cell phones, but unless we find a wifi hotspot, we'll likely be out of contact until Tuesday night.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it was such a success ... hope you have a safe journey home. Love you xx

    ReplyDelete