Sunday 3 April 2016

April 3rd

The day started off nice and got warmer as it progressed.  We were up early but usually no one goes riding on Sunday, so I took a leisurely breakfast. Then I went riding by myself.  I went the usual route and my surprise today was a roadrunner up on Foothills.  It crossed right in front of me and had a long tailed lizard in it's beak.  I could have kicked myself that I had not taken the camera; it was pretty funny looking with that long tail hanging behind it.  I turned off before the donkey place, but could hear it braying up there.  I understood from a later conversation that Gary & Patti had ridden up there and fed it some carrots, so it was probably pumped, calling for more.  I think I made about 3 1/2 miles today and it finished just as it was starting to get hot.
  When I got back, Marg had found a flea market that we had not been to. It was down just at the end of Tempe on Washington.  It's just north of Sky harbour airport and is billed as the largest in Arizona.  Parking was a bit of a challenge, but it worked out and the place was huge.  The neat part was they had some people selling their stuff or junk as well as booths with new stuff.  The selection of power & hand tools was remarkable, I couldn't help but think there must be a lot of contractor trucks with tools disappearing.  I stopped at a booth where the guy was selling many things including coins and bought 7 Canadian coins.  I can't help but think he was glad to finally get a buyer.  I bought a 1928 penny & 6 nickels from 1928, 1935, 1938, a victory nickel [1945] and a 1947.  When I got back I googled the values and they looked to be 2 or 3 times what I paid; so a good deal.  Surprisingly Marg never found anything, one of the guys on hearing this asked if I let her out of the truck.  LOL
  On the way back we stopped for lunch at a sports bar called the Hungry Lion.  It was pretty swish and the food was excellent well so was the pale ale.  Marg had a Greek burger and salad I had a Rueben and fries, really recommend the place.  Traffic was the lightest I have ever seen on the 202, a bonus.
  Happy hour was at Blanke's today and there was a good sized crowd.  It was noisy as usual.  It was the last one for the Johnson's and Nancy is one of the gamblin' gals; Larry one of the bike riders, so we had to go, they leave tomorrow morning.  Bingers were also there and they leave Tuesday; he is one of the poker players, she one of the splash & thrash group.  There were two other couples who are leaving this coming week as well, Blanke's & Clifford's.
  Supper tonight was steak on the bbq and the rest of the potato salad with a nice house salad.  Now if that isn't summer fare, I don't know what is.  Finished off the last of the cheesecake a great end.  We ate late as we were still feeling the effects of the large lunch we had.  A great day and it was hot, over 90F today.  Got to go and freeze a couple of water bottles for tomorrow so I can golf in this heat.
 

1 comment:

  1. Seems as the temperature rises the people start to leave... Bet you can't believe how fast the winter passed. x

    ReplyDelete