Wednesday 18 February 2015

Wednesday the 18th

Time passes so quickly and although we are making the best of our time here, there are people talking about leaving already.  One couple are leaving for Michigan shortly and we kidded him about getting her a new snow shovel.  The day started out chilly and I wore a jacket.
  Gerry showed up at his usual few minutes before 8 and we drove out to Apache Sun to play with the people in the park.  It was a very nice day and by the time we arrived at the course, some 20 minutes from here, the coat was no longer needed.  Yes it was a short pants day, I don't think I have had long pants on since December.  We had a full contingent this morning and our foursome was all Canucks. 
I had been saying when I had a bad round, I would take out my new clubs, well that happened yesterday, so the new clubs went out today.  It's really funny because the sand wedge is not labeled as such, rather it has an "A" on it.  I tell people because it is a Canadian set of clubs, eh?  The game went much better today, although I was off to a rocky start, taking a hockey stick on the first hole - for you non-Canadians, that is a 7.  It was a par 5, so it could have been worse, like on a par 3, LOL.  I made up for it with a par [4] on the second hole.  The 4th hole is where we compete for the longest putt & I sank one from just over 8 ft that was good enough to win the money.  Most of the players put in a dollar for this and the closest to the pin hole, so that earned me $15; as well as my second par [4].  Ended the round with a decent score, in fact as good as any 9 holes I have played this winter.
  Marg left early with the gamblin' gals for the Fort.  She has decided to go every second week, but was missing their company.  She didn't win at the bingo, but pretty much broke even on the slots, so a pretty enjoyable day.
  After lunch [had to make my own again], I worked on the back step.  It is a 3 step stair from the breezeway up to the door and had some old imitation grass on it.  I had some remnants from the Az room that I was able to cut and put on it.  It wasn't all that complicated, but it took a while to take it apart and as it was quite old, there were repairs required to get it back to where it needed to be.  I thought it turned out OK and was encouraged when Marg said it looked like a new step.  I think anything would have looked better than the grungy old material.
  I finished up in time to go for happy hour.  It was a full crowd again today, even with the gambling's gals missing, it was a full house.  We were chatting and Larry said something about it being time for the gals to be getting back and sure enough they pulled up to the driveway within a minute.  Almost like he was psychic.  I walked back to our place with Marg and she made up a vegetable salad and brownie plate to take over to Wilcox's.  It was Bob's birthday and he wanted to cook steaks for a bunch of friends.  There were 34 of us and he did a masterful job on the steaks they supplied.  Very nice people.  Everyone brought something to share, so there was a lot of food.  There was the usual collection of hilarious cards.  Marg selected one of the cards from those made by Lyzi for the occasion, telling all her friends where it came from.  This was mainly a very different group of people than the regular bunch, but we a friendly towards everyone & Bob is one of the guys I enjoy playing at the pool room.
  Helped clean up packing the tables and chairs back to the hall.  The guys were starting to play poker when we were doing it, so when we finished I sat in on the game.  I didn't think I would even be playing, so never had my poker change with me, but did have a bit so sat in while Marg went and got my little change bag from the trailer.  I think I lost a bit, but there were only 5 guys and they were pretty much the ones I enjoy playing, so it was a fun evening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day... Anna is now selling cards too she started an etsy shop called little sleepy see. And sew all things she makes while Sophie sleeps .... She is doing a craft fair Sunday so we get the baby hooray for our side xx

    ReplyDelete