Monday 31 March 2014

Monday

This was our last Monday of the 2013/2014 winter in Carefree Manor, Apache Junction.   Early in the morning we heard from Lucie, her and Norm got an early start and are headed home.
  It was a nice sunny day.  In the morning I took Marg down to Bells where she was looking for shower curtain hooks, a pillow and some other stuff for our unit.  In the meantime I went to the place that did my oil change and tire rotation.  When I had the car in at the Chev dealer last month they told me it needed tires and I wanted to see if a rotation would make any difference.  Well it did, the thumping used to be background noise and now it is front and center.  I started to get very concerned about he potential for a tire failure while the car is being towed behind the m'home, both because of the thumping and the low tread on the two former front tires, so made the decision on what my main souvenir will be this winter.  Four new Goodrich tires and the car drives as smooth as ever.  Marg finished her shopping and walked over as the tire shop was just across the Apache Trail from where she was.
  Then we went down to the unit where I took some of the skirting off the park model.  There was some water collecting in the duct and my in-park expert told me it was likely due to the position of the big a/c unit on the patio.  It was partially under the park model, so I had to borrow a pry bar from Dale and was able to get it leveled and up to the proper height.  Hope that fixes it as it was quite a lot of work.  Oh yeh, there were quite a few little black hornets [I think they were] buzzing around while I was doing this, so I got the shop vac and picked them out of the air.  Teach them not to mess with me.  By then it was time for lunch so we went back to the m'home for nachos.  Doris had dropped off a couple of pieces from the apple pie she just baked, so it was a big lunch.  Almost felt like nap time after. 
  After lunch we went to Safeway where they have a coin sorter and if you exchange them for a gift cert there is no charge.  I was getting so much change from poker nights.  Not sure how much I have, but I previously gave Marg a roll of quarters [$10] for laundry and a roll of dimes [$5] for animal races.  Then I have a bunch of rolls in the bag, so I just wanted to be rid of the loose change as the bag was getting so heavy.  In any event I got $35 in gift cert. for what I dumped in to it.  To get dollar bills they charge a handling fee of 11%, so as we were going to Lowes, took a gift certificate for there.  When we got there we got some brackets and an accordion door and were able to use the aforementioned gift cert.  We wanted one for the closet in the bathroom rather than the bifold that was previously in there.
  Started to install the accordion door and by then it was happy hour [4PM], so left to go to Kenny & Doris' place. They had quite a crowd tonight, it is getting close to the end for them as well.  They were going to leave Tuesday, but decided to stay for Clyde's function tomorrow and then for our happy hour on Wednesday, so now are leaving on Thursday.  It has become quite a joke between us. 
  At the end of happy hour, it was getting late, so for dinner we just went to KFC.  Bad choice as they had a special on and it was anything but fast food.  Chicken fried steak is a big item down here and there was a special on it, so the service was slow.  Food was OK, but it left us on a dead run again.  Why, well it is poker night and as I can't go on Wednesday, it will be my last game   Kind of a sad one as Jerry McCullough won't be back next year and we have had a lot of laughs over the last 3 years.  It was another good night at the table for yours truly.  The little bag of loose coins is full to the brim again.  I never won as much as some nights, in fact I had a long losing streak in the middle, but it worked out favorably, I believe.  I say that because I never count it at the end of the night, I just gauge my guess on how full or empty the bag is.

2 comments:

  1. Another great day, you should take that pry bar home for your shed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several pry bars, one larger than the one I borrowed. Most of my sheds are fine, ;>)

    ReplyDelete