Friday 8 February 2013

February 8th

Big birthday day - today.  Happy birthday Bill, it was great speaking with you and hope your day worked out well.  Happy birthday Lyzi, sorry we missed you when we called, but hope your day was special.
  Started off the day early.  It was nice out and I went for a bike ride.  Made my loop first thing in the morning and got back pretty tired.  It was a little cooler in the early morning, so great riding weather, shorts and a light jacket.
   Marg started off in the rec hall kitchen, it was patio sale day and she had volunteered to help out where required as some of her buddies were working there.  There are baked goods & collectables for sale in the hall.  They also have donated pies that they slice and sell with a cup of coffee.  Closer to noon they sell sloppy joes as well as more pie slices.  I think they were pretty happy to see her as it got busy in there.
  One of Marg's friends [Wilma] is an artist and does amazing stuff on stone that she sells.  While there were lots of gorgeous pieces, this is the one she chose and it will be making its way back to GP this spring.
  The baked goods, pies, everything pretty much sold out.  Not sure who bought it all, but the place was full of diners.  I had coconut cream pie with coffee in the morning after my ride.  Then I had apple pie with my sloppy joe at lunch.  Finally Marg had brought a piece home, so I had blueberry/cheesecake pie after supper.  I think she may have had some as well, but was too busy to watch very close, LOL.  The patio sale was a big success.  Marg also won 3 times in the raffle, but after the first win, just told them to draw again on the final two, unless the prize was a bottle of wine - LOL!
  After the sale we had to go to Wells Fargo, we were Johnny Cash's relatives; named shorta' cash.  Also got some cheques, mainly to pay the rent and utilities here as they don't take plastic.  We get free checking, but have to buy the cheques at a buck apiece.  Good thing we didn't need many.
  Went out to the 5 & Diner for supper.  It's a 50's style diner, kind of looks like a trailer with all chrome on the outside.  The décor is very retro, juke boxes at the table, chrome chairs & tables.  The waitresses all have period clothes.  Best of all the food is very good & we have a coupon in our book for it.
  Back to the park and on to the animal races tonight.  Marg had a good night, she was better than 50% picking winners.  I picked 2 winners all night.  It was so bad people were asking what my picks were so they wouldn't get stuck with the losers I had.  There was pretty good crowd & they got right into it, especially when the hippo won.  The zebra won the most races tonight, the only 2 wins I had were when I bet it.  I have bet the darned elephant every race for 3 weeks now and that guy has never won yet.  I keep hoping he will win by a nose - hah, get it.  Sometimes I crack myself up!  Some of the girls even made up a song about the elephant, whose name is Bimbo, didn't help. 
  Some sad news for the Bingers tonight, our thoughts & prayers are with you during this difficult time.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm pie looks great! Can't decide what I would have picked.... Amazing! We had retro bday cake... Liz picked a pineapple upside down cake to be her cake this year .... We tried ringing you when we got home from our dinner sorry we missed you xx

    ReplyDelete