Sunday 12 January 2020

Sunday, January 12th

The weather is pretty much as reported for the last few blogs.  It really doesn't change much here on short notice, rather we generally know several days in advance what to expect.
  We got off to a slow start today and went out to a coin show in Chandler at the legion.  It was a bigger show than the last one and with that had more opportunity to look at new stuff.  One of the most interesting things I saw today was a One dollar bill produced by the Dominion of Canada in 1917, so predates Confederation.  It was the only bill produced during WW 1 and had a picture of Princess Patricia on one side and the parliament buildings on the reverse.  There is quite a story on this as she bankrolled an army regiment that still exists today.  He was surprised I knew about it, we just call it PPCLI, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry.  His asking price for it was $385, but he offered it for $300 to me.  The value of it, as with any currency is subject to condition and as it was in a plastic sleeve I couldn't really determine it and the value could easily vary by several hundred dollars.  If it was he represented it the price was great, if not it was still too much, so I passed. 
  Marg found 5 coins in a bin at a booth where he didn't think he had Canadian coins.  There were 3 small 5 cent pieces and 2 dimes, 2 of the coins were 1896 & 1898, so I made a deal on the 5 coins for about a third of book value.  One of the vendors next to him even commented on what a bargain he was giving me.  Then I found a good deal on a 1939 silver dollar, about half of what any other booth was selling it for.  Finally I met a guy from Peterborough, Ontario who had a large bin of coins selling for silver value only [I like these].  His coins in the bin varied from old to newer and poor condition to very good.  It's funny that 50 cent pieces are almost always in good condition, probably because they didn't get as much circulation.  There is always a danger of over-doing it with these, but I bought: 5 dimes, 6 quarters and 2 x 50 cent pieces.  My bottom line was coins with a book value more than double what I paid, so I was happy.
  On the way home we stopped at Burlington Coat where Marg got a pair of flip flops.  I looked for jeans and tried on several pair, but no luck.  We then made our way home and had a sandwich.  After that we went to Bealls in AJ again looking for jeans, but no luck, so quit.  By then Marg had enough, so we went home to chill for a while.  She had a visitor again to use our wifi to update her Iwatch and they visited while it was downloading.
  Supper was a nice home cooked meal of hamburger, mashed with peas and carrots.  No dessert as it was ice cream social tonight.  Marg passed on the ice cream, I just had a bowl of chocolate.  After I played some pool with 3 other fellows and that was our day.

1 comment:

  1. The dollar bill sounded very interesting... glad you had such success at the coin sale x

    ReplyDelete