Friday 25 January 2019

Robbie Burns Day, 2019

We were up and mobile at a pretty good hour this morning.  After a coffee and bite to eat I went out to ride with the guys.  It was chilly enough that I layered a bit, but the others again were in shorts and tee shirts.  There were only 3 of us today so we rode the short track and made about 5 miles.  Along our route was a garage sale and one of our number wanted to stop in.  The other guys looked over the junk while I chatted the owner.  It was kind of funny as he said something like - you fellows ride past here most mornings, so I confirmed his observation.  He had a funny looking truck that I commented on and it is an old corvair sedan that he made over to put a truck box on the back.  It was pretty cool looking, but wouldn't be much of a truck.  He had 4 other corvairs that were still original condition. When I mentioned it to Marg, she said that was what she was driving when she had the major accident that wrecked her back & knee and that the rear engine probably saved her life.
  Marg had a nice roast beef in the slow cooker by the time I got back and she was looking for some more ingredients, like turnip, potato, onion.  When I got back she went out for some groceries.  I sat around on the heating pad for part of the morning, I may have overdone it with the golf this past week.  She was keen to get some cranberry juice as she has been experiencing some discomfort and it usually tunes things up.  She had quite a number of bags, so we must have been getting low on supplies.  While she was away I tried sharpening the darts for tomorrow night.  Most of the people will not be experienced dart players and will have difficulty getting even one stuck in the board.
  After lunch we had a couple visitors and then we had to get our patio ready for happy hour, it was our turn again.  I have to take the truck and park it outside the gate to make room, then get out all of our chairs, I think we have something like 14, everyone over that will have to bring their own.  I also put out the gas fire pit as the sun will be going down and the day cools off quickly  The fire pit area is always popular with the ladies.  We had quite a group assemble here, something over 30.  Most people only stayed the hour, but Gary came late so they stayed a bit longer, as did one of our neighbours.  A large group from here went out to Long John Silvers for fish tonight, but we had tuna for lunch and the roast freshly prepared, so we decided to pass.  After supper we had one couple stop in to tell us how good the fish was, but for me fish once a day is adequate.  Oh I did give a couple of them a preview, at the very end I wore the hat I bought to use tomorrow.  Stay tuned.
  Raise your glass tonight in tribute to the bard on this Robbie Burns day, Slainte!

2 comments:

  1. No mention of Haggis in this report, at least you raised a glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a Haggis tonight and plenty of whiskey... hope your back feels better... looking forward to seeing photos of your pub night x

    ReplyDelete