Sunday 11 November 2018

Remembrance Day 2018

It was chilly last night, the day warmed up a little slower than yesterday, but still got to be very pleasant. 
  I went to the Veterans day parade here in AJ.  It was a pretty good parade with lots of entries, someone said 60, so it took a while.  I was alone, so took a lawn chair and sat in the first opening I found.  I had an old guy, well older than me on each side.  One was only 4 years older, he had served in the navy.  The other was 87 and he had served in Korea and had a Korean War Veteran hat.  He got a lot of attention from marchers in the parade.  They weren't able to arrange a fly over with the airforce, but someone in an old bi-place did one trailing smoke and made 3 loops, then waggled his wings as he flew along the route.  They don't wear poppies in advance here, rather the legion members hand them out at the parade.  I had been wearing one I brought from home and the lady who gave me one complimented nice Canadian poppy.
  Marg did some laundry today, two loads I believe.  The weather was good for drying with a bit of wind all day.  The temp got up in the high 70's but the wind was cooler.  She has a steamer that stays here as well as the folding clothes rack to hang things on when steaming, so she doesn't need to bring one from home.  She wanted to get things caught up today because tomorrow the gamblin gals are headed to the Fort to do their thing.
  She also had quite a few visitors today. I overheard her playing videos of Sophie performing karaoke to a few of them. 
  When I got back to the park I worked on the golf cart.  There is a problem with the brake shoes making too much noise when stopping, so much its embarrassing.  I got the driver side hub off and beveled the leading & trailing edge of the shoes and buffed the shoe face where it was showing signs of glazing.  I made a puller that worked on that side, but it wasn't strong enough for the other, so I will tackle it tomorrow.  I wasted a bunch of time running around to get some steel to make the puller, so a bit frustrating when it folded like a tent on the second wheel.
  Supper tonight was the leftover swiss steak and it was just as good as yesterday.  Something like stew I guess, in that regard.  Marg made biscuits to go with it.  I love biscuits, so that was a real treat.  In fact dessert was a bit of peanut butter or honey on them.
  After supper a neat thing happened.  The fellow who helped when I took the wheels off last year stopped by after supper to see how I made out.  At this moment he is probably fabricating a piece of hard steel to make a puller strong enough to get the other wheel off, we will see but I am pretty certain Jim will come up with something that works.  The battery doctor is coming to put new ones in the cart, so will probably take another look at it after he leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you got to the parade... sounds pretty impressivel. Nice that Mom was sharing videos of Sophie, she back tomorrow so sure to be another performance xx

    ReplyDelete