Thursday 15 March 2018

The Ides of March, a Thursday

Ah, the Ides of March are upon us.  It was a cloudy, windy day and the temperatures feel quite a bit from yesterday.  I think it got to the mid to high 60's, pleasant, but not warm by what we normally expect in this area at this time.
  I started my day going to the coffee klatch this morning.  There was a decent size group this morning, but there was a bit of a different tone to the morning meeting.  This is a great way to keep current on happenings in the park an area where there are already indications of the winding down of the winter season activities.  A couple we spend a fair amount of time around left for home this morning, to get to a doctors appointment for him. 
  Marg had a few visitors this morning.  One was Wink, the fellow we helped get his golf cart advertised on line.  The buy & sell site Marg listed it on is showing 450 people have looked at the ad in the last two days, a statistic he was impressed with.  There have also been inquiries from the Craigs List site, but a much smaller number.  He has already had people come by and check the cart out, so he is more positive in his outlook about chances of selling it.  Then Marg went over to see Shari about the curry dinner we are having at their place tomorrow night.  And then to see another gal who is hosting a pot luck dinner Friday to tell her we could not attend because of our conflict.  I think there are 3 or 4 couples we are joining for the curry, so it should be a fun event.  Then Marg went out for a few supplies so she could make what she has committed to.  I think she is doing a butter chicken dish, the rice and getting some naan bread, chutney, etc.
  I went to play some pool this afternoon.  There were 3 of the regulars playing and then the guy who is new to the park was uncovering a second table.  I offered to play him, even if it was just one on one.  I say that because he is a very good player and a couple of fellows in the park played him but not for long, apparently quitting early.  He is a friendly fellow, so I thought I would give it a whirl.  Well my cue stick was hot today.  I won every game except the last one where he beat me.  It wasn't that I was a better player, I just had a better game plan.  Then one of the fellows from the other table stayed to play 3 games with us when that game wrapped up, so it was 2 vs 1 and I did OK in those 3 games as well.  Some days you get lucky.  In fact I told the guy luck is a big part of my game.  The park managers were wandering about with the Century Link people.  The are putting in a fiber-optic backbone and will be offering TV & Internet service next year.
  When I got back, Marg had returned with a bunch of groceries.  Shortly after I got back we had a few visitors one of whom was asking if she knew the happy hour location today.  The cool wind was still blowing, so Marg volunteered that it could be at our place.  Well sure enough there were a dozen or more folks here for that hour.  It ended up being pretty hilarious and lots of laughing.
  Supper was a nice bbq steak and baked potato.  It was a large T-bone and the beef here is pretty good, not as good as Albert beef, but it's corn fed so the taste is quite good. 
  After supper we went to the animal races - Go Bimbo!  This was the last one of the season, so they gave away cash prizes on a draw basis.  They take a bit out of each payout during the year to give them a cushion in the event they have a calculating error when they make the payouts.  Marg won most races and had doubled her bets, so she won $6.75 plus $4 in one of the draws, so vey cool.  Me, I won more than I lost, $3.25 I think, so a good night for the Gourlay's.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it’s gettingg quieter in the park with events finishing and people migrating home... but doesn’t sound as though your days are getting quieter xx

    ReplyDelete