Sunday 3 January 2016

January 2nd

Saturday in the Valley of the Sun and things are starting to return to what we consider normal routine here.  It was a windy day and started off a little cool, but warmed throughout the day to be a very pleasant day.
  The guys stopped by for the early morning ride and this morning I was ready.  The wind made for a tough day to ride and I reminded them that this was my first day, so would be on the short track.  There were 5 of us and we very quickly split into two groups, those athletic supporters as well as Larry & me.  Larry & I took a different route that gave us 4 miles and by then we both had enough.  Not sure about the others, but having been here for a couple of months already, they likely did 2 or 3 times that distance.  It was good to see the tires were just flat and stood up for the ride, I always breathe easier the problem turns out not to be a flat.  Since I put the shields between the tube & tire as well as the green goo in the tires, I have not had any problems with them.
  When I got back we had some lunch and then went to the big Mesa market.  We wandered around for a bit and Marg got some stuff from the baker and we mostly checked it out.  In the end I never got the newspaper subscription I went for.  They usually have a snowbird special that we get.  The features of it are the big coupon edition and the tv guide one, so it's only twice a week.  Seems they know what appeals to us temporary residents, LOL.
  After we stopped in the big Walmart and picked up some things we needed.  That is pretty much the story as we arrive here with empty cupboards, so need just about everything.  I managed to pick up a furnace filter, they get kind of cruddy over the summer and need replacement.  We also wanted some cold remedies to help Marg combat the head cold as well as purchase some minutes for the other cell phone.  The service days had just expired and if we renew it within something like 30 days we can keep the number and minutes on it and only had 2 or 3 days left to do that.  So for $25 that gives us the 3rd phone number down here 482-370-0568.  We were kind of looking for oranges as well, but it seems they are not quite ripe enough to pick just yet, so the road side vendors have not made their appearance.  They are a real treat here when they come available, they are plentiful and so tasty they are a real treat.  The grapefruit trees are usually a bit after the oranges, so not many of them either.
  When we arrived my water valve was stuck and in the process I ended up breaking the handle, so I was looking for one.  This made a third stop necessary, so I went to Ace hardware, where I found several the would work.  Marg also picked up a few things, I think from the discounted Christmas items.
  Supper was our first bbq.  It turns out I have left with a full tank of propane last spring, so was able to do that easily.  We ended up with a nice dinner of roasted potatoes/vegetables and pork chops with as well as some marinated salad from yesterday.
  Was a little late getting this posted as I was pretty busy posting the Christmas party pictures Beth gave me on the Tenants assoc. FB site last night.

2 comments:

  1. Hope Mom is starting to feel better.. Your soon slotting into your routines.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken to marking my propane tank with an approximation of what is left in it at the end of each season as there is no way that I can remember when BBQ season starts again.

    ReplyDelete