Friday 12 March 2010

El Centro - that's us

Well what a gorgeous day, the sun was shining and it got up to about 70F. Through the windshield when there was no wind it go up well above that. Marg did the laundry thing this AM and I found the pool room. Marg paid for the next week here, its a nice park and I can see why it is full, very clean and good weather. Lots of Canucks in this park, mostly BC & Alberta. Played 8 ball and surprise; the rules are different here. Its a little like the Arizona rules, I'll call it the modified Az rules. LOL. Anyway I was able to keep from embarrasing myself and actually made a few shots. When we finished they said they play there play every morning, so looks promising. We talked about fishing, it turns out the lake here has Tilapa & Char in it and the drainage canals have catfish in them. A few of the guys fish on a regular basis. After lunch Marg & I went in to El Centro. Our first stop was Gardena, a grocery store that catered to spanish speaking part of the population. The store was real nice inside and they had some neat stuff. Everything was in spanish including the announcements. They had a machine making tortillas, so many they were on a belt with about 6 staff packaging them. One of the ladies gave Marg some fresh corn tortillas, right off the belt, they were still hot. The bakery was amazing and a guy there talked Marg into what looked like a loaf, but turned out to be like a giant puff bun. She bought a desert that turned out to be like a creme carmel, it was awesome. They also had some rude stuff there, like trays of: cow lips, stomach, pigs ears, pickled tripe [stomach], and god knows what else, because we couldn't understand the descriptions. I really felt like I was in a foreign land there. Hah! All Mexicans except us and it was large store. Finished up our shopping at Walmart. When we got back we went in the pool for an hour or so. It's great, nice and warm as well as a pretty good size. After supper I went and played poker, a couple of the guys from pool this AM mentioned it, so I went and played Texas holdem for about 2 hours. It was great fun, there were 16 players and I got down to the final 5, so got my money back plus a $3 profit. Yippee.

3 comments:

  1. now why do I get this feeling that I should be with you guys in the Gardena.... sounds amazing... except the cow lips.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problem that you are having with pool is that the rules that you hold sacred are only played in one particular basement somewhere in Northern Alberta. enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the fish? The cow lip shop? ... sexy legs mama...

    ReplyDelete