Sunday 19 February 2017

Sunday

Rain again today, at times it sprinkled, but other times it rained pretty hard.  The clouds were low and we never saw the sun.  But take heart, the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow.
  Got out early and went to the church service.  It was well attended today and the message Pastor Don delivered in his sermon was quite thought provoking, although not as meaningful as last week.  The first hymn was The Old Rugged Cross, kind of left me a bit melancholy as it put me in mind of father's service some 20 years ago.  Funny how things like that trigger memories that you don't normally have.  It was very nice as the pastors wife made a breakfast type of [well pretty much a meal] for the coffee & fellowship after the service.  What was very nice is she approached me at the chili cook off yesterday [she was one of the judges] and asked me to bring Marg, saying that even if she can't come to the service she would love her to come for the breakfast.  This morning I explained that she couldn't make it but was very appreciative of the special effort Lorna made to invite her and asked that I thank her.  A nice lady.
  Marg spent the morning getting things ready for supper as we had company coming for a roast dinner.  Lunch today was the last of the left-overs from Red Lobster, they were still good and I only had a couple of coconut shrimp as I was quite full from the morning coffee.  We then went out to get some water, I had taken the 5 gallon bottle yesterday and forgot to fill.  Then we went to CVS where we got a few toiletries and other stuff.  While there we looked through the aids to daily living for people with challenges.  We found an option that may suit Vanessa in dealing with her problem of finding shoes for her swollen feet.  The option is post-op footwear or shoes.  They are soft sided with Velcro fastening and hard soles.
  When we got back Marg put in the roast and later the buns she made.  Actually it was kind of funny as she got called out by one of the shower ladies to look at a trial cake she made for the event, so I had to keep an eye on the buns.  Well I am pleased to say when I pulled them out of the oven they were golden brown on top.  Another thing I can check off my bucket list - bake perfect buns.  A bit later and our guests arrived for a great dinner of roast beef, gravy, potatoes, peas & carrots, Marg's famous crepes; oh yes and buns.  Kenny & Doris and Lynette were all well pleased with her offering today and it was indeed very tasty.
 After supper we went to ice cream social and it was too soon after supper for anything other than a bowl of ice cream with a small piece of cake.  That and a bit of socializing.
 

1 comment:

  1. Old Rugged Cross is my favourite hymn... bless. Sounds like we both had roast beef dinners.. shame we didn't get to FaceTime when the kids were all here, but glad we caught you after all x

    ReplyDelete