Wednesday 20 January 2016

Wednesday, Jan 20th

Started the day when Gerry showed up to make the trip down to Apache Sun for golf this morning.  We were the last group out and played with the group organizer and her significant other.  I thought everyone played well and we had a good time.  For my part I started out with a par on the 5 and a par on #2, then it went down hill.  In the end the score was OK and it was a good game.
  When we got back, Marg was just coming back from the hall where she and a group of ladies had just finished chopping all the veggies for the big Turkey soup dinner tonight.  It's really more like a stew it is such a hearty soup.  It is one of the free events that are put on by the tenants association her in the park, so is very well attended.  They went back in the afternoon and started it all cooking to have it ready for 5:00 when everyone showed up.  The ladies did a great job on it and received many compliments from the diners.  Some of the ones I heard thought it was the best one of these yet.  My only part in it was to help carry the huge pots to the front and then I delivered some to one of our shut-ins in the park.
  While the cooking was going on I played some pool this afternoon.  The place wasn't as busy as yesterday.  I played one the guys I have lots of fun with and we came out about even in the win/loss.  I think I will be playing in the inter-park tournament tomorrow.  One of the ladies in the park gave me a nice graphite pool cue.  It belonged to her husband, who had passed away and she wanted a player to have it.  It's a nice cue, very light and a bit short, but a good one that I was glad to accept.  Her mother had given us a remote car a few years back for Daniel and she said that even if I didn't want it that she was comfortable with me picking a good home for it, with someone like Daniel.  Pretty neat really.
  Supper, of course was the turkey soup and it really was very good and filling.  It was interesting to see all the people going back for seconds and then taking a bowl of it home for the next day.  That is about as strong an endorsement as people could make on the quality of the soup.  She said they even got compliments from the person who made it last year.
  After supper it was clean up, always a big job.  It went much easier with everyone pitching in, so a good crew to work with.  There were only the cooking pots and serving tools as everyone has to bring their own drinks and bowls.  When we finally got home, Marg drug out all her laundry stuff and the hamper which we took down to the laundry in the park.  I helped get her there and then went to play poker.  It was a poor night for yours truly at the poker table, but it was a good time.  When I got back Marg was steaming the clothes and getting them put away, so she had a real productive day.  I think she wanted to get it done so it wouldn't be on her mind when she goes away for the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment