Monday 18 January 2016

Monday, January 18th

The day started out cloudy and a bit cool, but warmed throughout the day and became quite nice. 
  The guys showed up early again, but I was ready for them, so it was on the road at 8:45.  There were 5 of us and we made 6 miles today.  A good workout, but a little easier on me than yesterday.  We are hearing about other people who want to ride, in fact one bought a bike, another has his out of the shed; should be interesting.
  Marg had gone out to get what she needed to make stuffing and a salad for tonight.  We have been invited to a gathering at Bob & Sheri's on the next street for supper.  It started out as a plan by another Bob to deep fry a whole turkey and went from there, adding a ham and a roast pork loin and then all the fixin's.  In the end Marg made a version of a Greek salad, she calls it a modified salad.
  While she was doing that I went for a haircut.  I went back to the shop I have been patronizing for the last 3 years and lo & behold, the place had changed hands and the Mexicans were gone, replaced by Chinese ladies.  This is a serious problem, find a new barber.  In the end I went to Walmart and got it cut.  The lady who cut it did a nice job, Marg was happy with the outcome, so that was good.  I'm not sure if you get the same person or just who is next, but that is a problem for another day.  That was luck, I've had some pretty bad cuts out here in prior years.
  When I got back I went to play pool for a bit.  There were about a half dozen guys there and had some good games.  I played well enough to about break even on the win/loss count.  The really fun guys were not there today, but it was still all good.  A bunch of ladies were in the pool doing water aerobics this morning, but Marg only found out after they were done, so missed out.  Plans for tomorrow are likely to be there.
   When I got home I had a call from Pat who wanted to use my power mitre saw. Earlier he had talked about cutting some trim pieces, but he showed up with a load of 2x6 that he wanted cut to length for decking on the landing and the stair treads.  Set him up on the end gate of the truck and he cut them right on the front street.  Seemed to work out and most the sawdust stayed in the truck box. 
  By then it was happy hour, so I went down to have a quick beer with the guys.  Oh yeh, and to take a pork chop to one of Marg's friends.  She lives alone and we had an extra from last nights bbq, so she sent it for her supper.  I think there must have been something pre-arranged as she was not surprised and seemed happy to receive it.  We all had a bit of a surprise as a couple who were in the park last year showed up.  It turns out they tried to get a space in Carefree, but it is full for the winter, so they took a spot in a nearby park.
   We headed over to Bob & Shari's for what I was calling the boiled turkey, well deep frying is a form of boiling.  Anyway it was very good, certainly better than I expected very moist.  The variety of food was amazing and Smitty [it was his brothers place] had made is famous dutch oven desert.  As luck would have it I got the last little bit, but enough for a taste and it was a peach cobbler that was very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment