Sunday 3 January 2016

January 3rd a Sunday in the Sunny South

Got up at a good hour and got myself ready to ride.  It looked sunny out, but alas it was very windy, so no one showed up today.  Marg got up and we had some yogurt and a piece of a nice pumpkin loaf she bought at the bakery.
  After we got he laundry together and went to a new Laundromat in down by the Ace hardware store.  Marg wanted to try it out because it has different machines and it seems she liked it better than the one in the park.  This one has larger tubs and the washers spin rather than whatever it is the others do.  It was quite a surprise to me to see how many people were in there on a Sunday morning.  According to her the time to process it was much shorter and the result much better.  The only downside is that it required a second person to help carry all that stuff & help run around.  Me, well I really got an appreciation for how nice the laundry in the park is.  LOL
  There was an email when I got back from Terry who organizes the Wednesday golf outing.  Put my name down, and got Gerry on as well, so we are good to go, weather permitting.
 A quick lunch and it was off to find some ink cartridges for the printer down here.  I had left them in a ziplock bag, but they dried out anyway.  Should have taken them home, I guess.  Went to office max and it was amazing, there were printers with cartridges cheaper than the two replacement ink cartridges.  There was a good deal with the old ones, they gave me $2 each to turn them in.  Pretty cool because I often just toss them.  I also got a package of printer paper, it seems I forgot to pack some.
  I needed the printer so I could get the coupons from the Harbour Freight email.  I don't get them in the mail because I am not here most of the time.  So you guessed it, then we were off the Harbour and I got a couple of things I needed, plus my free blue tarp.  There was another flyer, but it turns out those good deals kick in next weekend, so will have to go back then.  Phil don't laugh, it is the kind of place one of your buddies would love.
  While I was there, Marg was in Big Lots, so I caught up with her in there.  Didn't find much of interest in there, but she came away with 3 or 4 bags full.  What was interesting is there was a guy at the door Duwayne was his name, very friendly.  He asked if I took the newspaper & I haven't yet got a snowbird subscription.  You know the ones with the coupons and tv guide.  Anyway that was his gig, selling that subscription, so I should start getting enough paper to fill the recycle bin any day now.
  Got back to the park and they had started happy hour already, so we had to hustle.  Kenny & Doris were back from their Christmas trip home.  Their combined families are so large, they rent a hall or banquet room at a hotel to all get together.  It was sure nice to see them again.  There is a new couple in the park, friends of Jim & Beth's that were there.  They had their grandson with them.  He's a real little character, I thinks he's 10.  Anyway the grandpa and grandson were out golfing about every other day and the kid shot a 79 the other day.  The grandpa said it was an easy course, but the kid was all excited about making a 50 foot putt.
  After supper we went for ice cream social.  It was so close after eating that we just had sundaes, a banana split would have been too much.  After we stopped in at Blanke's and caught up with them, sure nice to see them again.
  The weather, well it was a very pleasant day, especially after the wind died down & was still a warm wind in the evening, even though it is the fore runner of the impending rain.  We are forecast for about 5 days of rain, but sometimes that is less than an inch.  The locals like it, they are in a drought, but us snowbirds, well fingers crossed for a sprinkle you can golf in.  Marg, is still coughing, but not constantly, she is getting a lot of practice though.
 

1 comment: