Friday 22 January 2016

Friday

Got up early because I had committed to help Lynette with the battery in her golf cart.  It was wild, a terminal on one of the batteries melted down and the bolt came right off the battery terminal.  Luckily I brought the connecting cable because the guy at the shop said that was the reason, it wasn't wound tight and the loosely twisted wires caused it to over heat.  Got back and put it together, so she is mobile now.
  It was windy, so didn't think the guys would ride bikes this AM, but on my way home from Lynette's I saw Gary go by on his new bike.  As he has not rode with us yet, I hurriedly got on the road and caught up to him.  He was right by Garry W's place, so we picked him up as well.  IT turned out he was looking for someone to ride with, but assumed it might be too windy.  Anyway we made about 3 1/2 miles today, which is lots for a day like that and for a guy on his first ride.   I quit early because I had to golf a couple of hours later.
  Marg had a shopping day with Karen.  They went out to some places she had not been and a few stores she doesn't normally frequent.  They even went out for lunch and surprise, surprise, Marg had a salad.  She did come back with a small side table, which was fortunate as she had been looking for one for a while. I think they got back shortly after lunch and then she went out for some groceries to Fry's.  Not certain what all that entailed, but it did include a nice apple pie, so apple pie & ice cream for dessert at supper.  After she got back, she went for a walk around the park and made her usual stops to visit, oh yeh, she got the mail.  It seems our mail is coming much better this year, I'd like to think the card I put in our mail box at home is helping with this.  Supper was in the slow cooker, her way of dealing with an uncertain timing.
  I played golf with one of the park regulars, Gene and a couple of new guys: Mickey & Vern at the Links at Queen Creek, my first time at the course. It is a very nice 18 hole course and pretty reasonable at $42 for golf with a power cart.  A well laid out and designed course, but more than challenging enough for me, lots of ducks and geese.  I started well, but struggled on the front nine, but was able to get it together on the back nine.  The guys were good to golf with and it made for a pleasant day.  Well I did lose a couple of balls in the water, but that's nothing new for me, what's a game without a couple of penalty strokes.  The game played pretty well, I believe we were about 4 1/4 hrs.
  After supper it was the animal races.  Sadly the elephant only won once, so a poor night for yours truly.  I think Marg won a couple, so did much better than me. We were a bit late getting there [after the 3rd race was run], also unfortunate as I was to help Clyde as MC because Gene was away.  After everyone places their bets, there is a lull in activity while the gals calculate the odds, ie: what each animal will pay on a win.  During this time Clyde has traditionally told jokes & then Gene came forward to alternate with him.  I had a bunch of jokes prepared, so was able to step in.
  It seems there was this guy named Odd.  He suffered from people laughing at him and from ridicule all his life.  He decided to die incognito.  How you might ask, well by not putting any markings on his headstone, just leaving the name blank.  It seems this was unsuccessful as people were often heard saying as they passed by the unmarked headstone -  That's odd!.
  It was a fun night and a warm evening made for a nice walk home.
 

2 comments:

  1. A couple of balls is going to make an impact on your hoard. Charlene bought me a dozen before Christmas and I still have the first ball out of the sleeve after two rounds, it seems that they are keepers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fun in that, you never get a shiny new ball to tee up. Although my supplier warned me with the tough times, the supply may have ended.

      Delete